The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs, for short) section will grow as common questions are submitted. Please feel free to e-mail me with your questions if you can’t find them answered here!
Q: How do you do e-mail readings since I’m not there to shuffle the cards myself?
A: I think of you and your question while I am shuffling the cards. Through thinking of you and your situation, the “energy” is shuffled into the cards. I’m just a conduit. If the e-mail question is from someone I have met in person, I will focus on a mental image of that person’s face to further “tune in” to you and your question. If comfortable with it, the client can feel free to e-mail me a picture of their face for me to focus on while shuffling.
Q: Are you a psychic?
A: No more so than anyone else is capable of. I believe everyone has intuitive gifts and some people have a natural talent for such things, much like having a musical talent or being gifted in a sport. My goal is for people to understand that tarot is not some woo-woo thing that only certain people can do. If you want to, you can read tarot, too! You just have to be willing to flex those psychic muscles! I used to correct people that referred to me as “that psychic” or “the psychic tarot reader”… I don’t anymore. It’s a label that I’m learning to become comfortable with.
Q: Why don’t you do “emergency” readings or same-day appointments?
A: The very nature of the word “emergency” immediately puts people on edge. There’s no such thing as a tarot emergency. A tarot reading forged in panic mode will do them no good. Are you going to listen and absorb the wisdom inherent in a tarot reading when the adrenaline is pumping through you and you’re in panic mode? Yeah, didn’t think so. Better still is to calm down before scheduling an appointment. Your reading will be much clearer and you’ll be ready to hear the message for what it is, what you need to hear vs. what you want to hear.
Q: What’s it like being a tarot reader?
A: Not too different from any other job, and sometimes completely foreign… I’m part-counselor and part-confidante, and sometimes it can be very lonely. But there is a purpose to the separateness, the “otherness” of it… it lends itself to greater objectivity. It’s hard to “turn it off” or “tune it out”. A lot of the time it feels like I’m always working. Other times, it’s the most normal thing in the the world to get a kiss good-bye from my fiancé and a “good readings!” before leaving to do an event.
Q: Can I hire you for events and parties?
A: Absolutely! Contact me using my contact form on the About/Contact page, and we can arrange scheduling and payment. Base rate is $100/hr, for a 2-hour minimum. I have done wildly varying events, from the Tarot of the Boroughs launch party, to birthday parties, to outdoor events. For more information, see my Buy a Reading page.
- I will never discuss the content of your reading with anyone else other than you. The information is for you and you alone. Because of this, I usually don’t retain any details of your reading, preferring to see myself as a conduit for the information to flow through to you. Therefore, if you have a reading from me, please bring either a notebook to take notes or a recording device.
- I am here to help YOU. Not your mother, not your significant other, not your family, not your friends. YOU. If they want a reading, they can come and see me, too. But during your reading, we will be focusing on you. I don’t read for people behind their backs.
- I will always try to work with you to rephrase your question to the cards to be empowering to you. That means more “how” and less “when”.
- I would love to be able to say I can read for everyone and anyone, but that is not the case. You may not jive with my energy, and I may not jive with yours. Please know that although I may like you very much as a person, I may refuse to read for you due to our energies not meshing. Depending on the circumstances, I may even provide you a referral if I know of a reader that would fit your energy better than me.
- I firmly believe that tarot can help in a lot of situations, but tarot is not a “band-aid”. Therefore, please keep in mind that tarot is for entertainment purposes only, and should you need medical, legal, or emotional assistance, please consult a trusted doctor, lawyer, or licensed therapist.